
On Monday when I got into science class, I was excited to get on with the frog dissection planned. We got into our lab tables and started the dissection following the packets guidelines. The first thing we had to do was to cut up the skin and open up the frog.
The frog's skin was silky and really thin so it was easy to cut through but once I got to the muscle, the process got a lot harder. The muscle was tight and knitted and hard to cut through and it got harder once we reached the sternum of the frog(a bone) and we had to cut through it. Finally, I was able to reveal the insides and I was shocked to see the numerous eggs inside the frog clearly numbering over 300. Clearing away the eggs however turned out to be a difficult job because they were all stuck together by a small membrane and were slipping off of our tweezers.
After we accomplished the job of clearing the eggs and the oviducts, we were finally able to see the rest of the body systems. What was clearly noticeable first was the liver that secretes bile. Once we removed the liver, we were able to see the heart which was shaped like a circular lump and the gall bladder that holds the bile. After the liver, the stomach was the most dominant organ. We took it out of the body and cut it open to see if we could identify its last meal but we couldn't find any coherent object.
Although disappointed, I was still excited to see what other secrets the frog held. We went over all the parts in the body and I really believe that the dissection was a good idea because it gives both the students and the teachers a break from their lessons and it gives a very good visual as to where the body parts really are.
No comments:
Post a Comment